Sunday, September 22, 2013

Moments of inspiration

Hi all,

Sorry for the long hiatus in between posts. I've been busy with life, school (I've begun my internship), and all things in between. Also, with all the newness going on around me, at times, I know I have been putting a little less effort into the gym. Don't get me wrong, I've still been getting my butt there, but I've been losing my spark and allowing myself to "coast" a little too much. I know this needs to change; I need to buckle down again and get serious. I need to find my balance again.

A couple weeks ago, I was able to compete in the Bridge City Beat Down with Crystal as team "Junk in the Trunk," and I had an incredible weekend. In fact, I had an inspiring weekend. I remembered again how much I love to compete, and how much I adore the atmosphere of CrossFit. At this competition, I had possibly my greatest CrossFit high ever during the Thruster Ladder event. In this event, barbells were set up in a line, beginning at 65# and progressing in 10# increments up to 165#. In the workout, between the two partners, there was 50 seconds to each complete the lift (consisting of a deadlift, a hang clean, and a thruster), and then progress to the next lift, until both partners could lift no more. In practice, I had only made it up to 125# because my hang clean was limiting me. I already felt a little frustrated going into this workout, knowing how disappointing I had found the practice. However, prior to going out, (the totally brilliant) Crystal gave me some pointers, and in the workout, I managed to lift 155#... a 30# hang clean personal record, and also a 5# thruster personal record. I was in shock, elated, and I almost cried in front of a whole bunch of people.


What made this moment one of the best ever for me was not just that I managed to set a new personal record, it was the community of CrossFitters who were there standing behind me and believing in me. Crystal's words of encouragement throughout the lifts stuck with me, and on my final lift, I looked up into the audience and saw every eye on me. I heard the silence as I lifted, and the roars of excitement as I successfully completed the lift. People who had never met me before were cheering for me, hoping for me, and believing in me. This is what I ADORE about CrossFit. Teams (affiliates) don't matter at the end of the day, it's about self-improvement, and being the best YOU possible... it's about community beyond affiliation. Coming together for a common cause. Best. Moment. Ever.

Then, as if that moment weren't enough to inspire me to get my butt in gear, I went to the gym this morning. Good old Randy Hills came up to me, just before I was about to do the group workout (thrusters and rowing with rest periods), and challenged me to try the Sport workout. The sport workout this morning was Helen... 400m run, 21 16kg kettlebell swings, 12 pull-ups x3 rounds for time. I wasn't keen on the idea to begin with, but with some encouragement, I decided to give it a go. It was painful, and it sucked.... BUT again, there was a little crowd of amazing people cheering me on and believing in me. I finished. On my last run, a few of them even came out to join me on the last 100m... that's such a beautiful thing to do. <3

As I laid on the ground after completing my final pull-up this morning, I thought about how much I love that feeling. The feeling of knowing you've given it your all, and you haven't given in and coasted. I am inspired. Maybe it's time start thinking about the sports model.

So I guess what I am learning right now, or what I am challenging myself with, is the idea of giving my all. Whatever it takes. I know I can split my focus... I did it last year, I can do it again. My challenge to you? Stop sandbagging "it"... whatever "it" is. I know I have some serious thinking to do. :)

With love,

Kimmy G

No comments:

Post a Comment