Saturday, January 11, 2014

Weight. Figurative and Literal.

Forgive me,

You see, I've been meaning to write this post since the day of the Monster Lift-off at the gym, but I guess time flies when you're having fun. I have a good feeling about 2014 already! Although, that's probably because I wore yellow underwear on New Year's Eve... did you know it's a Columbian tradition to bring good luck? I'm not from Columbia, but it was worth a try! So far, so good.

Anyway, back to the Monster Lift-off. This event happens yearly at our gym, right before the turn over to the new year. On this day, everyone that can make it comes out and tests all of their max lifts. If I am to be honest, I went into this particular lift-off pretty exhausted from giving my all to my internship (but now I have a degree, yay!). I was not expecting a whole lot due to the chaos of the previous four months, even though I had still remained dedicated (as much as I could possibly be) to the gym.

Anyway, at the lift-off, the most incredible thing happened; I got a personal record on my back squat at 265lbs. PR's are always exciting, but there was something that made this particular personal record even better...


See that picture above? Well, that was me. At 262 pounds (my heaviest).

What made this particular personal record on my back squat so special? Well, I just threw on my old body weight, plus three pounds, and squatted it.



Crossfit is strength. Metal, and physical.

I threw on the weight of the old me, the girl who never would have seen herself as an athlete... who never would have believed she could maintain a healthy lifestyle for over two and a half years (with no end in sight!). I threw on all of my old doubts, insecurities, and failures. With my body weighted down under 265lbs, I stepped away from the rack; in a moment of determined strength, both inside and out, I went to the bottom of the squat, and fought my way back up.

I racked the weight, and walked away.

I am so much stronger than my old self. Daily, I choose to walk away from the doubts, insecurities, and failures associated with my old weight. I replace them with a new kind of weight (or weights!!); a weight representing strength, health, and victory. The new me.

"Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting" N. Hill

With a very full and grateful heart, I will continue my journey.


With love,

Kimmy G


No comments:

Post a Comment